Announcing TokuDB v7: Open Source and More
Every few months, I get the fun job of announcing what’s new in TokuDB®, but this time is special. With Version 7, TokuDB for MySQL and MariaDB is going open source.
The free Community Edition is fully functional and fully performant. It has all the compression you’ve come to expect from TokuDB. It has hot schema changes: no-down-time column insertion, deletion, renaming, etc., as well as index creation. It has clustering secondary keys. We are also announcing an Enterprise Edition (coming soon) with additional benefits, such as a support package and advanced backup and recovery tools.
Making TokuDB open source is a natural next step for Tokutek’s involvement in the MySQL community. So far, Tokutek has been involved in the community in many ways:
- We’ve contributed a number of MySQL and MariaDB patches, as well as source code for our parallel bulk loader.
- Our iiBench benchmark has been enhanced greatly over the years through community contributions.
- Bradley C. Kuszmaul, a co-founder of Tokutek and chief architect, has been a member of the IOUG council since it was formed in 2011.
- Gerry Narvaja, who leads technical services at Tokutek, is the co-host of the popular MySQL Community podcast OurSQL and won the MySQL Community Contributor of the Year 2012 award at the recent Percona MySQL Users Conference.
- Members of Tokutek’s technical team have been frequent speakers on general industry topics such as Indexing, Scaling, and Benchmarking at multiple MySQL events, including Percona Live, MySQL Connect, and various meetups.
TokuDB v7 maintains all our established advantages: fast trickle load, fast bulk load, fast range queries through clustering indexes, no fragmentation, and full MySQL/MariaDB compatibility for ease of installation.
In addition, there are plenty of other performance improvements included in this version. For starters, TokuDB v7 adds support for Direct I/O. Also, you asked for it, you got it: TokuDB v7 has significantly enhanced Engine Status information.
For details on updates to pricing and supported MySQL and MariaDB versions, please see our FAQ.
To learn more about TokuDB:
- Download executables here.
- The source code is available on GitHub.
- Attend a Webinar overview of TokuDB v7 on May 2nd.
- Our public IRC channel is #tokutek on freenode.net. We have google groups at tokudb-dev and tokudb-user.
- Read our blog.
- Learn more about Fractal Tree Indexing.
- Join our TokuDB mailing list to be notified about future product updates and related events.
- Stop by Tokutek booth # 114 or hear one of our presentations at the Percona Live and SkySQL Conferences on April 22-26th.
- Come by our table at the OSBC Open Business Conference on April 29-30th.