Despite this tremendous opportunity, MySQL implementations are often kept relatively small, often on the order of 500 GB or less. Anything beyond this threshold inevitably leads to big operational problems, i.e. poor insertion rates, slow queries, hours to days for index rebuilding and offline schema changes, long loading times, dump/reload cycles during down time, extended recovery, etc. The promise of Big Data has remained largely unfulfilled for MySQL. Until now.
TokuDB enhances large databases (typically 50 GBs or larger) by speeding indexing by 10x or more, thereby radically improving database scalability. Because of its exceptional indexing performance, TokuDB is ideal for applications that must simultaneously query and update large volumes of rapidly arriving data (e.g., clickstream analytics).
Key Benefits of TokuDB for MySQL and MariaDB
- Performance: With a 10x or more improvement in insertions and indexing, TokuDB delivers faster, more complex ad hoc queries in live production systems without rewriting or tuning applications. Offering high performance even when tables are too large for memory, TokuDB scales MySQL and MariaDB far beyond either InnoDB or MyISAM.
- Compression: By leveraging write-optimized compression, TokuDB achieves up to a 90% reduction in HDD and flash storage requirements, without impacting performance.
- Agility: Hot Indexing enables ad hoc queries to run fast with realtime, optimized index support. Hot Column Addition/Deletion/Rename gives database administrators the freedom to rapidly define and add new fields.
- Additional Benefits: Providing immunity to database aging by eliminating the need to rebuild indexes, TokuDB ensures no more query slowdowns, no more dump/reload, and no more need for dedicated maintenance windows. In addition, by utilizing larger, less frequent I/O, TokuDB reduces wear for flash. Finally, with high insertion rates, TokuDB addresses the common and persistent problem of “slave lag” in which a replication server is unable to keep up with the query load borne by the master server.
- Subscription: The Enterprise Edition includes support, access to developers, on-boarding services, and advanced tools such as Hot Backup (coming soon). Hot backup allows a backup to be completed while database is running.
Try TokuDB for MySQL and MariaDB Today
TokuDB for MySQL is free for evaluation and for development purposes.
A software-only MySQL plug-in, TokuDB is MVCC and ACID-compliant and fully compatible with existing MySQL applications, requiring no modification to existing MySQL code or application logic. TokuDB uses Tokutek’s proven Fractal Tree® technology to extend the capacity of MySQL databases while improving performance, transactional integrity and operating efficiencies.
MySQL is the most popular open source database software in the world. Many of the world’s largest and fastest-growing organizations use MySQL to save time and money powering their high-volume Web sites, critical business systems, communications networks, and commercial software. MySQL is owned by Oracle, the world’s largest business software company.
MariaDB strives to be the logical choice for database professionals looking for a robust, scalable, and reliable RDBMS (Relational Database Management System). MariaDB can be deployed as a drop-in replacement for the popular MySQL database and it is built by the original MySQL architects and most of the original core developers of MySQL with assistance from the broader community of Free and open source software developers. In addition to the core functionality of MySQL, MariaDB offers a rich set of feature enhancements including alternate storage engines, server optimizations, and security and performance patches. More information on MariaDB is available at http://mariadb.org and http://kb.askmonty.org.